(Episode 18 Final) LOVE AFFAIRS | A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge Jr

.
.
Back in the days, our official currency was pound sterling. That was when money was still valuable. There were no paper notes then. Money was kept in money bags and not wallets, the way we have it today.

While I was in school, at about your age, the best way to differentiate between the kids with rich parents and those with humbled parents was the noise that emanates from their pockets as they walked  - deliberately swaying from right to left.

My parents were well to do, so I had the privilege to join the caucus of the rich boys - although I never relied on the wealth of my parents. I believed, 'atelewo eni ki i tan ni je.'

The vacuum he left in my heart after his departure, none could fill. Everything went on smoothly save for his absence until the customary mourning days were over.

On that fateful Saturday, we played host to my dad's relatives. I thought they were only around to tender their condolences as well; only for them to begin a long tale of how the property would be shared.

The entire property - including my mum - according to them! I never really understood the saying that the wife belongs to the husband until then. I sat right there watching as they debated which of my uncles would assume my father's position and play all the roles - when I say all, I meant all the roles.

I lingered to hear mum's response and was greatly encouraged when she blatantly refused and ordered them out of our house. I saw in her eyes what seem to me like the strength of a woman.

While they hesitated, she instructed the guards to push them out. Some were carried outside the house while the others were left to the dogs for the magic to be done.

Little did we know that they were already in possession of some documents - the documents were those bearing my dad's name exclusively! Mum secured the services of her lawyer and all the properties that bore her name were well secured.

Life went on smoothly although not as it used to be. Mum is a disciplinarian - it was not so obvious until dad's departure. I would break down into tears whenever she reprimanded me sternly and sing songs that reminded us both of the living memories of my dad.

It gets to her at times and she would immediately vacate the scene, leaving me to do the sobbing alone. But at other times, she would pull me closer and make me promise I won't repeat it.

Along the line, things went out of hand as out finance dropped and mum had to sell one of the houses in her possession to get us back on track. But we never still lacked all we needed.

----

Her stories had so much overshadowed mine; that it didn't take much time before I was through with all I wanted to share based on our current level of relationship.

But my attitude of wanting to meet her every need heightened. All I initially regard as a mere show off took a new approach. I now know she was raised that way - and it was only natural for her to act accordingly.

Thoughts flashed across my mind based on her current submission of herself and Olaide not wanting to be dependent financially on their parents but I quickly debunked that by her father's words, 'atelewo eni ki i tan ni je.'

I was more delighted to find someone who had really ate affluence and had also worked on herself - as not to be dependent on family riches.

At least, I have someone who her primary inclination would not be channeled towards poverty.

I believed poverty was more of a mental phenomenon than physical. A poor mind is much more difficult to attain wealth than a rich mind - even though both might have the same account balance at the moment.

When poverty goes from physical to mental, a higher magnitude of orientation would have to be carried out. Here was someone who is rich from inside out and was also willing to work with her hands. I am blessed, I said to myself.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU