(Episode 18 Cont'd) LOVE AFFAIRS | A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge Jr

.
.
Maybe I should say providing a shoulder to lean on during those times yielded our current fondness for each other or better still further endeared her to me - because on my part, the love for her knew no bounds.

I assumed I ought to be the party that would be shying away. While I was much younger, I had a friend who upon proposing to his best female friend then, he could no longer look her in the face. She became more like his Lord.

She had also stated that his proposal was a shocker to her. In fact, she proceeded to saying that all that could ever be between them was friendship.

I was awestruck when he broke the news to me. I could not hold back the words that rang in my head.

‘Is she God? Knowing today, tomorrow and next,’ I submitted angrily. Only to find out later that she accepted the proposal but it was then too late as my bosom friend already zeroed it from his mind and simply enjoyed the friendship. He is happily married now with lovely kids.

‘At least my case was different,’ I consoled myself. She was back to her room and the intimacy heightened.

She soon initiated talks about family backgrounds. I made sure she sets the pace.

‘Growing up was a perfect blend of the good, the bad and the ugly,’ She began. I felt more relaxed as I adjusted my back - resting it properly on the finely artistic paintings on the wall.

She had provided a chair but I chose to sit on the floor to revel in the soft hairy carpet covering the floor of her room. She had brought that along to the location.

My childhood was filled with luxury. As much as I could remember back then, I had all I wanted. When I say wanted, I meant every of the letters. All I needed to do was to name it and I had it.

Whenever I recollect the experiences, I always see myself as a spoilt brat. You dare not flaunt your new toy, then; for that would only be followed closely by my request for a bigger and better version.

Dad never thought twice. I was the only child for years before Adeyinka came into the scene. I initially felt jealous thinking he would take my place in the heart of my parents. But that was never the case. The loving affection was intact. The only thing that changed is the knowledge that I am no longer the only child. We had all we wanted.

----
Things began to fall apart when Dad was taken up by a sickness that would later result into his final goodbye to planet earth.

The family's finance was not affected a bit as there was more than enough to take care of him. When I queried at times how he got to be in possession of so much, he would often say, 'Darling, no one can play all through his life time as much as no one would labour without rest all through. You either work now and play later or play now and work later. I chose to work earlier. All you see now are the results of God's blessings on my hard work and diligence.

I never for a second took those words as a fatherly advice to her daughter. I had all I wanted - so why bother myself about other details. Mum was his only wife and I was his first daughter - there were no worries whatsoever about who and who inherits the properties. They were all entirely ours.

Few months after he was hospitalized, we lost him. It was as if my entire world stood still. For months after his departure, I could not still believe he had gone. I see him in everything around me. Whenever the bell goes - indicating 'closing time' at school, I anticipates his coming to pick us up from school.

It took months before I could sink it in and later accepted the available replacement of the school bus driver. Nothing feels like sharing the front seat with Dad while he drove me back home with Yinka granted the freedom of playing with toys at the back seat.

Those were real good times of father-daughter talks. I would share all the day's experiences with him including the boys who complimented my good looks; the class teacher who hesitated to punish me due to his status in the school.

He had been made the PTA chairman of the school due to his popularity and contribution to the growth and development of the school. Hardly will he visit and few coins - as he often referred to money - won't drop into my class teacher's purse.

I had asked him on an occasion why he referred to money as coins and he smiled claiming that he grew up into spending coins.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU