(Episode 24) LOVE AFFAIRS ¦ A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge Jr.

.
At a juncture, I tried holding back the words that coalesced to form my only question. But I could not.

So, dear, which of the former stories do you want me to believe and which ones should I debunk? I asked

‘I have poured all out, Ade. It’s left to you to sift’

I decided to pick only the fact that her dad was late and resting all others on ‘as you see, believe’

----
Her actions say, yes, but she won’t let out the words. I resolved to schedule a perfect time to pose the proposal afresh.

I have heard female friends attest to the fact that accepting a marriage relationship proposal after a long while might be just as difficult as making the proposal in the first place. Banking on this experience, I waited for any available opportunity to do so.

Some days later, Adeyinka came visiting with foodstuff and other necessities. She introduced him to me – although I have heard a lot about him but we haven’t seen each other facially.

He was not at home when I made the surprise visit to the family. I immediately shifted some attention on the teenager. We talked and talked about many things - the thoughts of re-presenting my proposal while he was around flashed through my mind. After much reasoning, I decided to give it a shot.

Very early the next morning – but not too early as though to appear as an intruder – I headed for her room and was warmly received. I went straight beside her – she was still lying in bed – and expressed myself heartily. I made sure that Yinka could pick my words. I wanted to prove to her as well as him that I was for real – no games.

She insisted that she was still indifferent about the whole thing. I couldn’t take that response any longer and I bluntly asked, Do you mean nothing can ever happen between us? I had let out the words before I realized I might have crossed my boundaries.

'May be, maybe not,' was her response.

Nothing frustrates me more than when I demand a direct answer from someone and the fellow sits on the fence. Sincerely, if she had just said, NO, at that point, I could have completely given up and just carry on with the friendship - never to open up the issue again. I was that audacious and fixed within.

I knew she was in love, it was written all over her but she just decided to keep back her response. I would later find out that she was merely ticking days - counting months before she finally gives her approval.

She was counting on the tips she got from a book on relationships she had read and following the steps to the letter. Her intention was giving me a window period of nine months to test the authenticity of my supposed love for her.

Poor me, I never had an hint - I could have just played along for the number of months and even more.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU