(Episode 17) LOVE AFFAIRS | A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge Jr

Standing right in front of my door was Olajumoke. Diverse thoughts ran through my mind immediately – I felt the set time had come.

She rarely comes to my room, not even after I made the startling proposal (in her words though). What a surprise!

‘Please, come in.’

‘Thank you,’ She said - wrapped up with smiles like one who had just won a visa lottery to the States.

‘You look bright and radiant in that smile,’ I complimented.

‘Ade, guess what? I just got a really big contract. I have been pushing this for months all to no avail – only to get a message from Olaide saying we have been invited to an interview scheduled for next Monday. I am talking about thousands of naira here and a sponsored trip abroad.’

Olaide was the only female close friend I knew with her. Her growing up had been filled with more male friends than female. Mine was the other way round. I relate well with female friends than males. I just love the natural affection and tenderness of femininity.

Their friendship had grown so much that people now take them for twin sisters. Whenever you see one, you see the other. Or at times, the other is very close by. Bi igbin fa, ikaraun a tele!’

Although they had met on campus as fresh students, their relationship appears more like they were childhood friends.

On several occasions, they have spent days and weeks together at each other’s place which extended into spending vacations with each other’s family. They shared so many things in common which further made them tightly knitted.

Departmental lecturers often wonder why they answer to different surnames – some would even assume that they are from the same mother but different fathers – that’s for those who see Olaide as older than her.

Although Olajumoke often affirm that she was not her best friend – their relationship to me has grown beyond friendship to family ties – which is a deeper level of relationship.

Whenever the topic of wedding is being discussed, one would always say she would be married before the other – hence, making the other the best lady. They have long debunked the usage of Chief bridesmaid, claiming they are not maids but ladies.

It was not long before I settled it in my heart that if I would eventually be her man, I have to get closer to Olaide – a mission I embarked upon immediately.

‘You don’t have an idea of how happy I am now,’ dear. She continued

‘Um… that sounds bit romantic,’ I thought. Why would she come all the way to break the news to me if I am not so special to her? The ecstasy all over her clouded my further inquisitions to ascertain the authenticity of the contract.

We both discussed how she was going to travel over for the interview and I gave my little cash support. At least, a way of saying, 'I am so delighted about this new development.'

I have long settled in my heart that even if her eventual response to my proposal would be a ‘NO’, the friendship would not be affected.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU