(Episode 27) LOVE AFFAIRS | A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge Jr

The industrial training exercise was now few days from winding up. It was more of work affairs and less of love affair - as logbooks won't fill themselves automatically.

But on my part, it wasn't a big issue. All the supervisor wants to read are well articulated words, spiced up with fascinating delivery, all of which I was naturally good at and even much more.

It only took me some hours - what some of my colleagues did for days - to complete the whole thing - although I had started initially and paused along the way.

It was then that I realized I had paused immediately I made the proposal to Jumoke (although I kept a daily record of practical experiences garnered in a notebook). Things you do for love, some would say - but that was a deficiency on my part as I could not manage both well.

'Mere stupidity', I said as I laughed at myself. I had always opined that no lady can ever get so much into my head and I would misbehave. The reality of not standing by my resolution shone brightly now. I now knew it's easier said than done.
Our hosts were kind enough to celebrate our departure amidst a real emotional atmosphere.

A mini party was organized and gifts were wrapped for each and everyone. Some of us like Jumoke got packages from individuals as well.

Brown envelopes were handed out to each of us and its content was reasonable. It was said to be just our fare back to school but when I opened mine to reveal the amount, it was enough to settle my fare to school multiple times (even a glutton would not be able to exhaust it on snacks on the road).

It reminded me of childhood days when an Uncle would come visiting and give me some money for biscuits - according to him. I would wonder if he meant I should buy cartons of biscuits or just a pack.

Since the money already carried a label, I would run to mum and tell her Uncle said I should get biscuit with this. She would ensure I appreciate his kind gesture and get the money from me promising to get biscuits when she goes to the market.

She often fulfills her promise and I would sit back enjoying the big pack of assorted cookies which I knew my money can buy over and again. When I insist on getting my balance, she would follow up by asking how much I pay for the meals I eat on a daily basis.

'But mum! That makes you my mother', I would blurt out. But that would soon be the end of the story which never really ends.

----
The second semester exams had just been completed on campus - although not entirely - as some few departments still had one or two more papers to go.

The returning IT students were still asked to wait for the final completion of the exams which was still running closely into two weeks.

Jumoke had travelled home straight from the location. Our conversations were only on chats and occasional calls. The young adults’ ministry she convenes would be having her annual concert in few months - so she had to travel home to commence preparations towards the program.

She carried me along on every detail of the rehearsal and I gave my full support.
At a point, she requested my assistance. I gladly obliged and travelled down using the opportunity to see my aunt too.

The rehearsals were often all night as the period worked best for majority of the team members. The team is made up of mostly students across tertiary institutions within the country - as many as were out of session made themselves available.

Some loyal ones even had to leave school work to attend the 3-day compulsory rehearsal in final preparation for the concert. I saw practical loyalty and I was challenged to work more on my team too.

I craved her persistent never-say-never spirit. It soon robbed off on me - although she often commented that she picked much more traits from me.
I was delighted that finally, we were blending perfectly into each other.

The rehearsal was a great time investment as well as energy sapping. She wanted the best and that she went after. I gave my unflinching support which was well acknowledged with words of appreciation in torrents.

It was difficult to decipher that I had just joined the team for their rehearsals for the first time. Even her team members attested to the fact that I was simply amazing.

While some already concluded that I was the 'brother', others were indifferent. Jumoke flows well with male friends, they had said. Hence, I could just be one of those male friends she likes being around her.

I cared less about their submissions and suspicion - I was simply supporting someone I know to be the love of my life even though she had not yet given her approval verbally.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU