(Episode 41) LOVE AFFAIRS | A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge Jr

Baby ‘AyoAde’ has now grown into a year old. We planned marking the day with a day long outing together. We ordered custom shirts and shoes.

Everything went as planned. The day was really enjoyed. I reaffirmed my love for her and she reciprocated. She apologized for disregarding my view on allowing Lanre stay over at her place for days.

Final exams soon set in and the atmosphere was coated by ‘seriousness’ over again. You would hardly see someone not holding a material – lecture note, jotter, or past questions.

There were students who are known for just reading past questions. They cram the answers and just go into the exam hall. Surprisingly, the smart players often come out in flying colours.

It is a common occurrence for lecturers to repeat question – although it works chiefly for multiple-choice based exams. The only times I retort to that option are when I had not prepared at all for a test. But when I am, I only pick up past questions to test my knowledge.

While I was a freshman, we had just finished a multiple choice test and colleagues were trooping out of the lecture hall when I asked a friend about a question and the answer he got after calculating.

Without mincing words or a forethought, he just supplied the answer. I had gotten the same answer after minutes of calculations and cancellations.
I was stunned, so I asked how he solved it.
It was a past question. I knew the answer before we entered the hall. The same question appeared on the test question paper of two sets before us, he said.

I was overwhelmed. It took time before I could arrive at an answer that someone just supplied almost immediately. The examiner won’t care if we had solved it or not – all that matter to him was the right answer – the rest is story.

I felt really discouraged as well as annoyed at our educational system all together. All it prepares students for is getting the right answer – regardless of whether they can defend it or not.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU