(Episode 30 Cont'd) LOVE AFFAIRS | A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge Jr

I had plans to pay him a courtesy visit soon. It’s all over now. Plans are shattered.

I carefully considered the hyphen – very short dash – separating the two years of his earthly existence. I thought to myself, that short dash is all we have; to remember him now.

He can no longer do more or less. He can no longer write more books, sing more songs, preach more sermons, deliver more seminars – it’s all over.

Prior to that time, the short dash had been carefully placed there after the year of his birth – but things have changed now. Another year had appeared after it – denoting a closure.

I would sit on the pavement, get up, walk around the compound, lean on the wall, look up, think back, think ahead and the question that stood right in front of me, staring into my eyes was, ‘but why’?
Why would he have to go so suddenly?

We still very much need his input around here. A day that ought to be filled with fun, prospective thoughts and retrospect was turned into a gloomy mode.

True! He was never scared of death and I do not either but he shouldn’t have just gone like that. What about his ministry, his family, nation? He was one who refused to be caged in a building called church. He took the message into every sphere of human existence.

He had so much impact in his country that he was nationally decorated with an ambassadorial position. But it’s all over now. All we now had to keep a memory of him was his contribution to the faith and humanity at large.

Later in the day, friends came around to celebrate me but the sad news won’t be exempted from our conversations. He made that much impact on many people. His death brought both sadness and challenge. I consoled myself with the fact that he has done the much he could do and now, the demand is laid on me and on as many as will catch the vision and run with it.

I resolved to be part of the number – a well recognized one at that. A baton had merely been passed on.
I remembered my Father's words to Joshua Nun after Moses departed the terrestrial realm which was recorded thus: "After the death of Moses, the servant of the Lord, it came to pass that the Lord spoke to Joshua the son of nun, Moses assistance, saying, Moses my servant is dead now go over this Jordan, you and all these people, to the land which I am giving to them – the children of Israel. Every place that the sole of your feet will thread upon I have given you, as I said to Moses."

That and more were about all I needed to forge ahead. It was a painful exit, no doubt. I had once pictured him as a very old man, sitting back in his country and many from across the globe going to pay homage – as he would be sharing from his wealth of wisdom.

The news had now travelled far and wide as many individuals, as well as corporate bodies poured in their condolences. Political leaders, religious leaders, social groups, activists, economists among others sent in their condolences to his family and the entire body of Christ. He was an elder statesman in his home country.

While some criticized – claiming he already drifted out of the faith some years back and his sudden departure was God’s way of reprimanding him, others reveled in his life’s accomplishments and mourned the painful and sudden exit.

Some religious leaders concluded thus: the Lord gives and takes. Glory to his name! The social media platforms were bombarded with news and comments about him.

As I retired to bed that night, the illustration of man’s earthly existence made by a sage flashed across my mind. It goes thus: ‘when a child is born, everyone rejoices but he cries – he must cry – if not, the nurses would make her cry by all means possible. It was only then that the celebration can be total. When he dies, everyone mourns. It would be a great tragedy if he is found mourning as well, upon his exit.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU