(Episode 2) LOVE AFFAIRS | A novel of the OmidanWURA_files By Segun Alonge


I drove into Royale Avenue in about thirty minutes. The traffic was a bit heavy due to so many events fixed for the weekend. Pulled up at the estate gate, honed wildly and was greeted by the guard. He is skilled at deciphering sounds especially when it’s coming from a familiar car like mums’. He swung open the gate and I drove in.
Pausing for a while to ask about his welfare, he began his usual eulogy again.

‘Here comes Her Excellency,’ he said.

I replied with a rather fake smile. ‘I wish this man knows what is going on in my mind,’ I thought. He would have picked that it is not the right time for jokes.

‘It’s been a while’. I thought you took the soil of this estate with you already. You didn’t even bother checking on us.

‘Um… No thanks to my job’. I reached out for my purse, picked a reasonable note and slipped it into his hands to end his rhetoric.

Ah! Your Excellency, this is much! (As if he would desire to part with some of it)
Do manage that for now, please.

Driving past the gigantic palace and journeying straight down for Jimi’s residence. The trees on each side of the tilled road oozed the very essence of nature – a soothing balm.
We had often played among the palms while we were younger. Jimi would invite me for his annual family reunion organized by Oba Omoboriowo. He would often say, ‘the central idea behind this event is that my children know one another’. He knew there was a possibility of marriage relationship between them if not properly checked.

-

I had to press the doorbell a couple of times before I got a response. Asking if all was well with the face Jimi wore would be equal to mocking him.
He pulled the door open, greeted me shabbily and retired back into his long couch. I followed closely behind as I offered myself a seat. I could hear sobs from within the room close to where we were seated.

‘That dog the king calls the heir to the throne had the gumption to drug and rape my sister.’ Obajuwon raped my sister. My own sister!

I sat aghast upon hearing the sad news.
If I could hear you clearly, you mean Obajuwon, your step-brother, raped Salewa? Aigbodo! I could not sink that in easily.

Salewa is torn apart. Juwon must pay for this wicked act.
Out of all the ladies in the kingdom, it would be his own step sister that he chose to disgrace. He has brought shame upon the entire princehood!
Jimi, please calm down. I know how it feels within now.

‘You think you have an idea?’

‘Of course I do.’ Ever since I assume the position of Omosalewa’s accountability partner, we have been so drawn to each other.
Obajimi had extended an invitation to Salewa some years back – for her to attend one of many OmidanWura programs centered on virginity and sexual purity. She later accepted the offer to be a member of God’s big family – this new life had even drawn them much closer.

‘Is the king aware?’

‘Not yet.’ I can’t go before him with this mind. I could sound rather disrespectful. I resolved to see him after family dinner this evening. It’s the king’s culture to host his sons once a month at the palace as they enjoy discussions over dinner.

‘Can I see Salewa?’

‘Please do.’ I’m sure she would be comforted.

Follow on FACEBOOK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU