GRACE IS NEITHER A MOVEMENT NOR A REVOLUTION

"Whenever you remove any fence, always pause long enough to ask why it was put there in the first place"
- G. K Chesterton

Oftentimes, when we speak about morality in the Christian faith, we would be opposed all together by brothers and sisters advocating a new revolution - called the GRACE REVOLUTION. I have always a singular response to this movement.

If we paint 'grace' as a revolution or movement in a way that we make people believe it is a new thing or a new doctrine, we should as well be prepared for a total overhauling in the nearest future.

The very initiation of a revolution connotes that it is for a time - and I do not agree that the Christian faith should be placed on such quicksand. In talking about being placed upon quicksand, I do not mean that the grace message is heretic in nature.

I am saved eternally (as long as I abide in Him), I believe strongly in the death and resurrection of Christ (I rest in His finished works and labour from the position) - where my sins were washed away and the old nature was crucified once and for all. When Christ died on that cross, I died with Him. When he was buried, I was buried with Him. Could death hold us bound? Never! He rose on the third day, I was risen together with Him. In His glorification rests my glory.

Speaking at a community meeting in Abeokuta, Nigeria, months ago, a question was asked about 'fences' instituted by man, its importance and necessity. I would here state my response with a material we all are familiar with - it is called 'daily devotional'.

Denominations from times past, present and probably future have engaged this potent tool to guide their congregation as they journeyed to be with their Lord eternally. The potency of this tool cannot be overemphasized, especially for a young believer. It is helpful for growth in the faith - as you would agree with me that a perpetual concentration on an act - though tedious/burdensome at the initial state - turns out to become an habit over time. Don't you? To withdraw that completely from the young believer is like weaning a child at about a month old. You expose her to turbulent times difficult to deal with.

What happens when a child is weaned at the right time? The mother introduces solid meals.

But does she embark on this act almost immediately? No! That would be suicidal. She introduces the solid meals gradually, before she wears her completely. Such is my take on removing fences and growth in the Christian faith.

What I frown at is when a believer makes the 'guide' his/her resort for growth and daily living exclusively. I believe in growth all together - spiritually, mentally, physically.

Printed shots from the camera keeps the record of our physical growth and development. What about the growth of the YOU that dwells in that tabernacle called body? How often we neglect that and focus on the physical, sometimes on the mental and scarcely on the Spiritual.

You need to understand that the man/woman that penned that 'guide' in your possession was able to put it together through daily encounters with our Lord. You can as well decide to archive your dealings by and with the Lord for generations unborn to be blessed by.

I challenge you, take that step today.

Righteousness is God's gift to man.
Holiness is man's response to it.
- Segun M. Alonge Jr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN AND RELIGION | Segun M. Alonge Jr

Revealed! THE WORLD AND YOU